Pregnancy can be challenging physically mentally, and emotionally. The body composition changes that could lead to increase in body fat and release in hormones which can cause insulin resistance so your body is not utilizing glucose efficiently. It basically struggles to maintain your body glucose levels. So exercise plays a major contributing factor in maintaining that body glucose level during pregnancy.
LET’S FIND OUT
- Benefits of exercise during pregnancy
- Important notes to be remembered
- Types of exercises
- Notes for routine
- Compulsory checklist for exercise
1. BENEFITS OF EXERCISE DURING PREGNANCY
- Makes you feel and sleep better
- Improves your posture.
- It regulates your blood pressure.
- Promotes muscle strength and endurance.
- Increases your energy and mood.
- Reduces stress and back pain
- It makes it easier to get back in shape after the baby is born.
2. IMPORTANT NOTES TO BE REMEMBERED
You need to stop exercise during pregnancy and call your doctor immediately if you experience any of these symptoms.
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Preterm labor
- Decreased fetal movement
- Increased shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Rapid heart rate
- Calf pain or swelling
- Amniotic fluid leakage
- Uterine contractions
3. TYPES OF EXERCISES
There are some normal and easy exercise during pregnancy which can be done quite easily.
- Walking – it is the best kind of cardio for pregnant ladies
- Cycling – This one is also cardio when you want to kick things up a notch.
- Swimming – Swimming helps you in your breathing and overall body movement.
- Yoga & Stretching – This will help you in maintaining your posture and reduce back pain.
- Elliptical machine – you can use the elliptical machine for workout. It will help you in increasing your endurance.
- Weights – You can use free weights or resistance bands to increase muscle strength and body toning
4. Notes for routine
Keep this notes in your mind while doing exercise during pregnancy-
- Try to find several; enjoyable activities that are safe for you and your baby.
- Walking stretching yoga can be done everyday.
- Resistance bands, weights, swimming and other heavy routines or muscle training can be done thrice a week.
- A recent study was done with women who were found to have gestational diabetes. Those who performed circuit training with resistance bands, they were observed to improve their blood glucose and reduce the amount of insulin required. Some of them could completely avoid taking any insulin during pregnancy.
- If you are diagnosed with high blood pressure, diabetic retinopathy or any other serious medical condition, your exercise routine needs to be closely monitored. Speak with your doctor before starting any type of routine.
5. COMPULSORY CHECKLIST FOR EXERCISE
These are the checklist to keep in mind while doing exercise during pregnancy:
- You need to progress slowly and gradually increase the resistance or speed.
- You should exercise with moderate intensity. Do not get overboard. The talk test is a simple way to determine what’s best for your body. If you are unable to carry a conversation because you are out of breath, you might be working too hard.
- Avoid exercising in hot and humid conditions. Over Sweating may cause electrolyte imbalance or dehydration.
- Drink water every 15 mins during exercise.
- Maintain energy and blood glucose with appropriate food intake.
- If you take insulin, check your blood glucose before and after exercise. Show them to your doctor in order to calibrate your dosage of insulin on the days of workout.
Exercise during pregnancy is you taking the power in your hand. It is a way to take control of diabetes during pregnancy and feel great. Not only do you balance your body vitals, but you also balance out the metabolism that is altered due to the hormones of pregnancy. It is very important to keep a schedule of routine in line for a healthy and amazing pregnancy and also the days ahead of the birth of the baby.
You may also like to read: 13 Best Pregnancy tips for first time moms
Exercising is very healthy for pregnant ladies but sometimes wrong exercising or over exercising can have adverse effects.
Weight training, circuit training using resistance bands are good options but they need to be in control of the pressure you put on the body.
Pregnancy brings a lot of changes on the body. You can’t exert too much pressure on the body. Weight training should be limited to max 3 times a day.
Swimming is wonderful cardio for pregnant ladies which does not generate any complications. You can swim 4 days a week